Atascadero house fire started by discarded cigarette

Firefighters have determined a tossed cigarette started a fire Friday evening that caused more than $200,000 in damage to an Atascadero home.

Shortly before 7 p.m., the blaze was reported at a single-family residence at 4515 El Camino Real. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire throughout the front portion of the home.

After gaining partial control of the blaze, firefighters rescued a cat from inside the home. The fire displaced three people and two pets.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about 25 minutes.