Man severely burned in propane fire at SLO homeless camp

A man suffered severe burns after a fire broke out at a San Luis Obispo homeless camp early Tuesday morning as a result of an individual trying to transfer propane from one bottle to another, according to the city fire department.

Shortly before 2 a.m. the fire was reported at a homeless encampment behind the Courtyard Marriott on Calle Joaquin near Los Osos Valley Road. Responders transported the victim to Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center.

KSBY reports the victim, a transient, suffered second and third-degree burns.

The incident began when a vapor cloud formed while one man was trying to transfer propane into a larger bottle. The propane leaked into the camp, starting a fire.

Firefighters knocked down the blaze in about 30 minutes. The blaze burned about 1,000 square feet of brush.

Please, be respectful of others. Attack ideas, not users. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, and other uncivil comments will be removed. The comments posted represent the opinion of the writer and do not represent the views or policies of the website.

Leave a Reply